IQRA is a small charity, serving the needs of somali community living in Somalia, England and Wales. In England & Wales, we operate a one-stop shop (gateway service) where our service users can access for information and advice.
In Somalia we have successfully implemented different projects including schools in four different areas in Somalia. For more information, please see area of operations.
IQRA is run by a small team of dedicated staff and volunteers with cultural rapport. We also run a supplementary school to raise under achievement and academic excellence, which benefit more than 30 young children from 5 ? 13 years old. The subjects that we teach are English, Maths, Science and cultural language.
IQRA was founded in 2000 with support of the Somali Diaspora when it was recognised that the majority of Somali Community in London had no access to a culturally appropriate advice service delivered in their own language anywhere within easy travelling distance within and or outside Lewisham.
Up until now IQRA has being offering a basic service only on Welfare benefits, Debts, Housing, Translation and Educational opportunities.
The aims of Iqra are:
- To meet the educational needs of the Orphans, the young and the adult Somalian through the provision of supplementary schooling, language and IT skills
- To develop our advice and information service in the following area:
- Welfare benefits
- To develop a translation and interpreting service to meet the needs of our clients
- To achieve the Quality mark and continue to develop a provisional and quality service to Somali community
- To provide basic education to young people 5-13 year old in Somalia
- To provide within Somalia, education and health advice with the object of improving their life opportunities and well-being to the following in particular Women, Children, young and disable people.
The services we provide are based on values that we regard as fundamental. These are:
- Equality of access
- Free service to all
- Empathy and Non Judgmental Approach to clients
- User involvement in planning our services